Gueston Sep 13
The San Damiano Crucifix, painted around 1100 by an unknown Umbrian artist, was in the chapel of the town of San Damiano. St. Francis of Assisi, while praying before this crucifix, received the stigmata. Eventually, the sister order of St. Clare took over the chapel, and moved to the town of Assisi, where the original is now placed in the sanctuary of the Church of Santa Chiara (Clara in Italian). This a Byzantine type of crucifix, in that there are "icons" representing the chief figures surrounding the Crufixion. Since most people in the late Middle Ages were illiterate, paintings were used to educate and inform the faithful.